A simple diamond pattern in brown and beige wool, 24 cards.
Yet another card weaving project, this time a commission. Two of my friends wanted a card woven ribbon to wear for 17th of May, Norway’s national holiday. This ribbon was woven with 56 cards, is 1.6cm wide and ~1m long. I hope that will be enough for the two of them to share. 😛
Another piece of work intended for my 17th of May outfit. This time a more modern card weaving work using green and gold silk embroidery yarn using the same pattern as for the green relieff work.
I’m a big fan of using historical techniques, not just for historical works, and this is one example of that. I have two other commissions in the works too. They will also be using silk embroidery yarn. 🙂
This was a quick (“only” about 4-5 hours) test with regular embroidery yarn (DMC) to see if the relieff in a vacant hole weave would show off the weft colour if the weft colour was different from the warp. I also got to see how thin embroidery yarn works for card weaving. To be honest it works very well! It only ripped when I started pulling quite hard on the weft, and the result is thin, light and strong. The weft colour does not show much at all though, so I am glad I tested beforehand.
One thing about this sort of weaving… it is tiny! This little thing is barely 5mm wide, yet I used 20 cards! This piece is 32cm long, and I could’ve gone on for a few more cm. But I’m guessing no more than 40cm at most can be woven with one regular embroidery yarn, using 20 cards and the vacant hole technique.
I’m thinking of making one in darker green and gold for my ivy brocade vest. But for that I’ll need more yarn first. =)