Did this more or less to test if it was possible to weave with 16/1 linen yarn, but also because the colours are gorgeous. As expected, sadly, it was quite messy, with more and more threads breaking on the way, I understand why most stick to 16/2 linen yarn.
After receiving a great deal of positive feedback on the first 17th of may ribbon, I decided to make another one. I only had enough yarn for a ribbon of half the width, but that worked just fine for its intended purpose.
10 hours of weaving later, and I had 1.2m of finished ribbon, barely 1cm wide. My landlady got half of it to make a ribbon, and I used the other half to make a ribbon for myself. An adorable polar bear button from the local sewing shop made the perfect focal point, and a small safety pin attaches it to a garment.
Yet another card weaving project, this time a commission. Two of my friends wanted a card woven ribbon to wear for 17th of May, Norway’s national holiday. This ribbon was woven with 56 cards, is 1.6cm wide and ~1m long. I hope that will be enough for the two of them to share. 😛
Another piece of work intended for my 17th of May outfit. This time a more modern card weaving work using green and gold silk embroidery yarn using the same pattern as for the green relieff work.
I’m a big fan of using historical techniques, not just for historical works, and this is one example of that. I have two other commissions in the works too. They will also be using silk embroidery yarn. 🙂
This was a quick (“only” about 4-5 hours) test with regular embroidery yarn (DMC) to see if the relieff in a vacant hole weave would show off the weft colour if the weft colour was different from the warp. I also got to see how thin embroidery yarn works for card weaving. To be honest it works very well! It only ripped when I started pulling quite hard on the weft, and the result is thin, light and strong. The weft colour does not show much at all though, so I am glad I tested beforehand.
One thing about this sort of weaving… it is tiny! This little thing is barely 5mm wide, yet I used 20 cards! This piece is 32cm long, and I could’ve gone on for a few more cm. But I’m guessing no more than 40cm at most can be woven with one regular embroidery yarn, using 20 cards and the vacant hole technique.
I’m thinking of making one in darker green and gold for my ivy brocade vest. But for that I’ll need more yarn first. =)
A small weave just to test a technique called “vacant hole”. Just like the name implies, it involves leaving a hole empty in each card, rather than creating patterns with colour. This pattern is a lot more subtle, and I already have new plans for it.
This tiny braid used just 12 cards, and is barely 0.9cm wide.
Because she is over the moon with this technique, I gave this braid to Liv Elin. 🙂
After receiving the linen thread I had ordered (green, reddish brown and undyed), I was naturally eager to test it out and see how linen works as compared to wool. Personally I like the result very much! Linen is durable and strong enough to weave with thinner threads without breaking the threads from all the pushing and pulling from the cards. This of course gives the potential of thinner, more detailed weaving. The result is not so fat either, and hopefully easier to sew on to garments (untested yet).
All in all, exited to test out and I might just swap over to linen entirely unless an order specifically asks for something else. 🙂
This bond with the braid weave I just learned measures 2 cm in width and is 1.29 m long.