After receiving a great deal of positive feedback on the first 17th of may ribbon, I decided to make another one. I only had enough yarn for a ribbon of half the width, but that worked just fine for its intended purpose.
10 hours of weaving later, and I had 1.2m of finished ribbon, barely 1cm wide. My landlady got half of it to make a ribbon, and I used the other half to make a ribbon for myself. An adorable polar bear button from the local sewing shop made the perfect focal point, and a small safety pin attaches it to a garment.
Well, a lot of things happened over Easter this year, and it is far from over yet, but one of the things I did find time to practice (since you can do it in front of the TV thus still socializing with family persons) was needle binding (nålebinding).
My first pair of wrist warmers mysteriously vanished when my grandmother came for a visit. She is always cold though, and they are very warm, so I don’t mind at all.
Seeing as I’m planning on sewing a whole new outfit for 17th of May, I figured it would be a good idea to start practicing embroidery. I found this really pretty ivy brocade which I’m going to turn into a vest, but of course, there is no garment trim that matches it. So I will be embroidering leaves onto the skirt by hand.
This is just a practice round of an idea which might, in some form or another, wind up on the cuffs and collar of the shirt of the outfit. Probably not this dark, but maybe matching the white of the shirt. The “dots” in the all the crosses might have some vague, pale gold colour though, just to break it up a little. I don’t know yet, we’ll see! 🙂