The past week I got bit by the hat bug, and with all the decent sized scraps I’ve got lying around, I decided to give it a shot. With the help of a super-awesome youtube tutorial by the great people at http://www.lastwear.com/ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPaFTZDTeWA), I was able to adjust the pattern until I finally got a model I felt satisfied with. I did go through quite a few tries until I landed on the one I liked though. Tries affectionally referred to as “hat corpses”.
Did this more or less to test if it was possible to weave with 16/1 linen yarn, but also because the colours are gorgeous. As expected, sadly, it was quite messy, with more and more threads breaking on the way, I understand why most stick to 16/2 linen yarn.
Figured I might as well add a picture of the so-far completed outfit, from this years 17th of May. =)
I am calling it V1 because, although it is fully wearable and actually quite comfortable, I am planning to do some embroidery work on it. Hopefully some ivy vines along the hem of the skirt and maybe on the cape as well.
After receiving a great deal of positive feedback on the first 17th of may ribbon, I decided to make another one. I only had enough yarn for a ribbon of half the width, but that worked just fine for its intended purpose.
10 hours of weaving later, and I had 1.2m of finished ribbon, barely 1cm wide. My landlady got half of it to make a ribbon, and I used the other half to make a ribbon for myself. An adorable polar bear button from the local sewing shop made the perfect focal point, and a small safety pin attaches it to a garment.
Yet another card weaving project, this time a commission. Two of my friends wanted a card woven ribbon to wear for 17th of May, Norway’s national holiday. This ribbon was woven with 56 cards, is 1.6cm wide and ~1m long. I hope that will be enough for the two of them to share. 😛
Well, a lot of things happened over Easter this year, and it is far from over yet, but one of the things I did find time to practice (since you can do it in front of the TV thus still socializing with family persons) was needle binding (nålebinding).
My first pair of wrist warmers mysteriously vanished when my grandmother came for a visit. She is always cold though, and they are very warm, so I don’t mind at all.
Another piece of work intended for my 17th of May outfit. This time a more modern card weaving work using green and gold silk embroidery yarn using the same pattern as for the green relieff work.
I’m a big fan of using historical techniques, not just for historical works, and this is one example of that. I have two other commissions in the works too. They will also be using silk embroidery yarn. 🙂
Another piece for the 17th of May outfit. Because I do live quite far north, you never know how May will be, and a cape is a neat addition to an outfit if it turns out to be “one of those years”. This is made with the same thin, black wool from tekstil.no which I made the skirt from, and laced with the same green silk noil which I also laced the vest with.